Now that she’s a little older, she is able to follow instructions more easily and has a little more dexterity with her hands so she is able to help with many more things like measuring solids like sugar and flour and pouring pre-measured liquids into a bowl following the recipe. With a plastic knife, she helps cut items like mushrooms, berries and bananas, she helps me mix ingredients with a spoon or whisk, and loves to make scrambled eggs though she very rarely eats them. So I knew that making pudding cups would be right up her alley since she just loves helping. Since these utilized an instant pudding mix, she had an instant gratification of getting them made and into the fridge to chill.
I’ve found that cooking with kids also helps me teach reading and math skills. While we are working, I have her count the ingredients we are using (ie. eggs or in this case cookies), we talk about phonics and sounds and what letter an ingredient might start with. It’s a total learning session that’s absolutely fun. For me, it’s a learning, bonding and overall heartwarming experience to be in the kitchen with my daughter. I’m super excited to see what she wants to make next week.
- 24 vanilla flavored wafers; divided
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 1 box instant (no cook) vanilla pudding
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups milk, cold
- 4 half pint (mason) jars
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- In a food processor, pulse 20 of the cookies (reserving 4 for garnish) into a fin crumb.
- Pour the butter and mix until it just forms.
- Spread onto a baking sheet into a thin layer and bake until golden about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized glass bowl, pour in the instant pudding mix and then top with milk. Whisk this together until is starts to thicken, about one minute.
- Into the bottom of a ramekin or pint glass (mason) jar, place two tablespoons of cookie crumble into the bottom of each jar
- Top the crumble with ¼ cup of pudding mix then layer with sliced bananas.
- Top each jar with another ¼ cup layer of pudding.
- Garnish with a cookie and a slice of banana