Wow! This recipe is long overdue for me to share it with you. I mean, seriously, we’ve been making this recipe for years. Seriously, years! I never seem to have my camera ready (or I plain forget) to take photos. Finally my two worlds have collided and I can at long last share this family favorite – Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos.
Just about everyone I know has eaten a frozen burritos from the grocery store at one time or another. I know in college, I ate them quite regularly. They were so cheap – and handy. It made a great dinner, snack before study group and lunch on lazy afternoons. My husband says they were a mainstay when he was a young fireman just starting out because they were so affordable. My co-worker calls them “Gas Station Burritos.” I guess that’s where he shops for his (lol). Anyway, here is how you make that delicious filling and burritos at home. Yumm.
As I eluded earlier, these burritos freeze well and make a great dinner or snack. We usually make a big pan of filling and form an assembly line. We fill, roll, wrap in aluminum foil and mark each one (spicy or not). We then allow them to cool completely and place them into a gallon zip top bag and freeze. My husband really likes being able to grab a quick-lunch or snack on-the-go. I love that I know what ingredients are in them, that they have no artificial ingredients, additives or preservatives. It makes my heart happy.
Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos
These Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos make a great lunch, dinner or snack on-the-go. They are freezer friendly and reheat easily in the microwave.
- 2 pounds ground beef (80% lean) or ground chicken, turkey or tofu crumbles
- 4 cups homemade refried beans OR 2 (15-ounce) cans
- 2 cups homemade enchilada sauce OR 1 (15-ounce) can
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano OR 1/2 tsp of regular Italian oregano
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup water, for thinning the filling, if needed
- 20 large tortillas (Burrito sized)
- To Make the Filling: Brown the ground beef together with onion. Once the meat is brown, drain off the fat and add all of the spices and the refried beans. Mix to incorporate. Once it is heated through, add the enchilada sauce. Stir to combine. Once that is heated through, cover with shredded cheese and mix to combine. Once the mixture is fully heated and the cheese is melted, decided if you need to thin out the filling. If so, add the 1/2 cup of water. If you are happy with the consistency, omit the water.
- Bring the mixture to a low simmer. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and develop. Then remove from the heat and set aside.
- To Fill the Burritos: Spoon 1/4-cup of the meat mixture onto the center of a tortilla shell. Wrap the burrito by folding in the sides and rolling up tightly. I do this by folding in the sides on the ends of the filling first. I then fold the bottom half of the shell over the filling, pressing it firmly towards me and then rolling toward the top.
- To freeze: I wrap each burrito in a piece of foil. I allow the burritos to cool completely and then I place them in two airtight zip-top freezer bags. These store in the freezer for up to 3 months.To serve: Remove foil and heat in the microwave for about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Rotate the burrito and check to see if it's heated through. If not, heat for another 15-30 seconds. Microwave times vary due to size and type of microwave being used.
Courses Dinner, snack, lunch
These Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos are great because they are:
If you liked these Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos, you may also enjoy these recipes: