We layered the flavors here and first used a rub on the chicken before we doused it with sauce. This slow cooked all day in the crock pot and was tender and fall off the bone delicious. I like mine extra saucy so we always reserve some sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken
Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken is quite simple to prepare and uses simple ingredients probably already found in your pantry.
- 8 pieces of chicken legs and/or thighs
- For the BBQ sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- your favorite jarred sauce
- For the Rub:
- 3 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp sweet or smoked paprika
- Up to 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tablespoons Kosher salt
- Combine all dry rub ingredients and stir to mix well, then thoroughly coat the chicken and place inside the crock pot.
- Next, combine all sauce ingredients and stir to mix well , pour over top of the chicken.
- Set the crock pot on low and cook for 6 to 8 hours. Alternately, you may cook this on high for 4 hours. Enjoy!
Serving Size 1 pc
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.1 g
Saturated Fat 2.4 g
Cholesterol 101 mg
Sodium 1641 mg
Total Carbohydrates 37 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 33.9 g
Protein 34.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.