Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon
Yield 12 servings
Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon, also called beef Burgundy, or boeuf à la Bourguignonne, is a well-known, traditional French peasant recipe turned haute cuisine.
- 2 – 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2- inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil for browning the meat
- 2- 1/2 cups good table red wine
- 1 lb carrots peeled and rough chopped into 1 in rounds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 18-20 small white onions, peeled and trimmed or 1 lg onion rough chopped
- 1 pound whole baby portobello or small button mushrooms
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl or plastic zipper bag. Add several pieces of the meat to the flour and shake until coated. Continue until all of the meat has been coated with flour. Brown the meat in a preheated skillet in small batches so as not to crowd the pan. Turn until all sides are browned. Do not try to turn too early. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Place in the cold slow cooker.
- Now add the wine and butter to the skillet and stir over medium heat, scraping the bottom to get the browned bits. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it begins to thicken. Add the bay leaves, garlic, ground cloves and thyme sprigs. Pour the liquid mixture over the beef in the slow cooker. I prepare everything up to this point the night before to save time in the morning.
- Add the carrots, onions and mushrooms to the top of the stew and then cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and the thyme sprigs before serving.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. This is good served over noodles or herbed mashed potatoes (pictured). Garnish with fresh thyme or fresh chopped parsley.
Serving Size 6 0z
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 3.1 g
Cholesterol 73 mg
Sodium 288 mg
Total Carbohydrates 17.9 g
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 26.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.