One of my Mom’s most requested Crock Pot dishes by far was her Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce and Italian meatballs. She always brought these to pot luck dinners and they were requested for family functions and are still even a family favorite on our Christmas Eve celebration — when we make a big buffet of just finger foods. Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is really very simple to put together and with this recipe, Homemade Spaghetti Sauce doesn’t have to be a labor of love. It’s quite easy to add it into the crock pot and let it simmer and bubble away while you go on about your day.
This sauce is rich and delicious with deep, Earthy flavor notes from the red wine and can be used on a variety of things like meatballs and spaghetti, pizza or even jazzing up a bag of frozen ravioli. If you prefer, you may omit the red wine and add some water in its place but do note that the sauce will not carry the same rich tones achieved by the wine. You can increase and decrease the spiciness of the sauce with the crushed red peppers and this sauce goes perfect with our Crock Pot Italian Meatballs.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, more or less to taste
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add wine and boil for 1 minute. Add crushed and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Pour the sauce into the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.