Cornmeal is sold in various textures and colors, white, yellow or blue depending on the type of corn used. Blue cornmeal is found mainly in Southwestern recipes. Yellow cornmeal is preferred for this recipe – I use stoneground.
Another of my favorite recipes from Whispering Canyon Cafe is the Apple, Pecan, and Blue Cheese Salad with Apple Vinaigrette and this cornbread goes great with a nice bowl of Beef chili.
Yield 12 squares
This recipe comes from Walt Disney World's Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. It's served in both the Whispering Canyon Cafe and Trails End Restaurant. It is moist, tender and delicious.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 each large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar together in a mixing bowl and blend.
- Combine milk, eggs, and oil in another bowl and blend together; slowly add liquid to the bowl of dry ingredients; mixing as you add liquid. Mix only enough to incorporate together.
- Spray a 9 x 13 cake pan with a non-stick food spray and pour the cornmeal batter into the pan. Make sure to spread evenly in the pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cornmeal is sold in various textures and colors, white, yellow or blue depending on the type of corn used. Blue cornmeal is found mainly in Southwestern recipes. Yellow cornmeal is preferred for this recipe.