Were it not for my best friend, Katie, I probably would have never gotten around to trying chai. In fact, when she asked (many years ago now) if I’d tried it, I’d never actually ever even heard of it. By then, it was already a staple in the trendy coffee shops and being mass produced. So when I saw an instant chai tea mix in my local wholesale food club, I picked up a box. I was instantly in love. The warm flavors of the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves are so appealing but it’s the savory cardamom and black pepper spices that really set the flavors apart from anything else.
This Instant Chai Latte Mix is perfect for an office setting where it’s logistically impossible to steep a chai tea. It’s great on-the-go since it yields a great cup of those beautiful warm flavors simply by adding hot water. If you know a chai lover or are looking for a great host/hostess gift basket, this makes a gorgeous gift basket when a canister of chai latte mix is paired with a cup, some snacks, and other small items. Simply include a card with the recipe and directions.
Instant Masala Chai Tea Mix
Yield 28 - 8oz servings
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 2 cups powdered French vanilla nondairy creamer
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients. Cover and process until powdery. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
- To prepare chai tea: Place 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of Chai Latte Mix into an 10 oz mug. Add 8 oz hot water; stir until combined.
- Alternatively, use 1 tablespoon per 2 ounces of hot water to allow for different cup sizes.