We almost always make our own refried beans from scratch, because it’s cost effective and in our opinion, the beans just taste so much better than any canned variety. Pairing that with a frittata and some fresh salsa makes this healthy breakfast far from boring.
Creating a healthy frittata for a weekend breakfast is quick and simple and if you prefer, you can easily use all egg whites here without a problem.
Adding fresh salsa and a bit of hot sauce takes this frittata from ordinary to “egg-straordinary.” 🙂
- 5 tomatoes mixed colors and varieties
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ox) can organic black beans, drained and rinsed, or make your own
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (fresh or pickled)
- 9 sprigs of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4oz) can green Chile peppers, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 6 liquid egg whites (like Eggland's best or eggbeaters)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Chop the tomatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Add the red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro.
- Add the lime juice and salt and toss to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat a 10 to 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Also preheat the oven with the rack positioned in the middle of the oven.
- Beat the eggs with the hot sauce, salt, and pepper and add the green chilies.
- Pour the egg mix into the pan and settle the eggs and lightly cook them, then transfer the pan to the center of the oven and broil the eggs for 6 to 7 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the refried beans with a splash of water to thin them out for spreading.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and spread the refried beans overtop, stopping 1-inch from the edge all around. Top with shredded cheese and more jalapenos (if desired) and return to the oven for 1 to 2 more minutes to melt the cheese. Remove the frittata from the oven.
- Serve extra salsa at the table.