Unfried Chicken is baked in the oven for a crispy coating without the extra oil and added preservatives and MSG, unlike the big chain chicken places.
- 12 - 16 pieces of chicken; any combination of breasts, thighs and/or drumsticks
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot or regular paprika
- 1 tbsp Poultry seasoning (which contains marjoram, sage, ginger and rosemary among others)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Dissolve salt into water and add chicken. Cover and allow to marinate for 2 hours. Then remove the chicken from the brine, rinse it well and pat dry.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and then whisk in the buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl or shallow dish, combine all the dry ingredients to make the coating mix.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- While the oven preheats, dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture and then toss to coat in the breading until very well coated. Allow the chicken to rest for a minute or 2 in the breading mix for the coating to set up. Shake off any excess breading mix and arrange onto a well oiled cooking sheet.
- After all the chicken is coated, spray each piece with some vegetable oil or non-fat cooking spray. This helps the coating crisp up in the oven but can be skipped. Overall, this process *might* use 1 tablespoon of oil for the entire batch of chicken.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is well browned, the internal temperature is 160°F and the juices run clear.
Serving Size 1 pc
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrates 7.2 g
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 19.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.