Easy, healthy and delicious, these mussels make a perfect lunch, dinner or appetizer. Using just the simplest of ingredients, these mussels are also packed with flavor. This dish is a classic Peruvian dish and is traditionally served as an appetizer to whet the appetite, however, we prepared a meal sized portion and served this with yellow rice.
Peruvian Style Mussels
Peruvian Style Mussels are Easy, healthy and delicious, these mussels make a perfect lunch, dinner or appetizer.
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- 1 cup white wine, optional
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, chopped (or any other chili pepper), optional
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Clean the mussels and remove the beards attached to the shells.
- Put the mussels in a saucepan with the wine, cover and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, ensure that all the mussels are open, take out the mussels and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile combine red onion, tomato, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley leaves.
- Discard any un-opened mussels. These are not safe to eat.
- As an appetizer, remove one side of the shell and cover with a tablespoon of salsa along with some of its juice. Serve immediately; warm or at room temperature.
- As an entree, toss mussels with the salsa in a large serving bowl. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1 lb
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 17.5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 127 mg
Sodium 1313 mg
Total Carbohydrates 30.6 g
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 55.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.