Upside-down fruit cakes have been a staple in American homes since the early 1900’s. My favorite is Pineapple upside-down cake which is simply a basic yellow cake which is inverted after baking to reveal a glistening sheen of caramelized butter and brown sugar coating golden pineapple and maraschino cherries. It’s got my mouth watering just thinking about it.
Traditionally, my Mom made her Pineapple Upside-Down Cake in a rectangular 9 x 13″ pan which she would invert onto a platter. Squares would then be cut around each pineapple slice so that each person got their own slice. I prefer to make mine individualized in a mini bundt cake pan. My pan has larger wells so the recipe fits into 6 wells forming 6 individual cakes.
This recipe is especially good with a dollop of homemade whipped cream. I also have a more tropical variation, Pina Colada Cakes, that I’ll share in the coming weeks.
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 6 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 6 slices pineapple fresh or canned, drained
- 6 cherries, if desired
- 1⅓ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Into a mini-bundt cake pan with 6 wells, evenly distribute the butter. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of brown sugar evenly over melted butter in each of the 6 wells.
- Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar. It should just fit into the well.
- In a bowl, beat the remaining ingredients with electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Divide and pour batter over the pineapple.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately place a serving plate upside down over the pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Serve warm topped with a cherry and a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Refrigerate any leftover portions.
The Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes are a family favorite because:
If you liked these Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes, you may also like: