Shrimp and Grits Canapes
Shrimp and Grits Canapes is our version of the southern shrimp and grits, These tasty canapes have all the flavors of the south in a mouth size bite
- canape base
- 1/2 cup stone ground grits
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 whole large scallion or 3 small scallions, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz Tasso Ham (see notes)
- 24 shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 12 chives, cut in half for garnish
- In a small sauce pan with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups of water or chicken stock and grits to a boil, stirring often. Turn the heat down to medium, add parsley and scallions, place lid on pan and continue to simmer the grits until they are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to broil and while the oven is preheating, place a baking sheet inside to heat with the oven. In a small bowl, coat the shrimp in Cajun seasoning. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and, in a single layer, add the shrimp. Place the pan back in the oven and broil the shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until their color changes and they start to curl. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now turn the oven down to 400° F. With non-stick cooking spray, coat the mini muffin tin(s). Fill each tin about half way full with the grits mixture. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool. After cooled, remove from tins.
- In a food processor, grind tasso ham until finely chopped. Next add the cream cheese and blend into the ham creating a mousse.
- To assemble, place a dollop of tasso ham mousse on top of each grit cake and top with one roasted shrimp. Garnish with a chive, optional.
- Note: Tasso ham is just a smoked ham piece slathered in cajun seasonings. If Tasso ham is unavailable in your area, you can purchase a small piece of smoked ham and grind it with Cajun seasoning to create the spicy mousse. This recipe can also easily be doubled or tripled.
Serving Size 1 pc
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 32 mg
Sodium 137 mg
Total Carbohydrates 1 g
Protein 3.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.