These Beef Empanadas are also extremely easy to make and are a great addition to any tapas or party menu.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced fine
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced fine
- 1/2 medium red pepper, diced fine
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (10-pack) package empanada wrappers, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking tray with a silicone mat, parchment paper, or aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it us with a spoon or rubber spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions and green peppers and cook until soft, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons of meat mixture into the middle of the empanada wrapper, fold in half to form a half-moon; moisten the edges with water and pinch to seal or crimp edges with a fork.
- With a pastry brush, lightly brush egg wash over the top side of the empanada dough. This encourages browning.
- Place empanadas on a foil lined sheet pan sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake Empanadas until crisp and golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes.
1). This recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
Recipe by Kitchen Dreaming at https://kitchendreaming.com/beef-empanadas/