Fresh steamed broccoli and perfectly cooked macaroni noodles are enrobed in a velvety cheese sauce and then tossed with some ham cubes in this delicious Broccoli Ham Mac and Cheese.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 pound cubed ham
- 1/2 head broccoli, trimmed and broken into small florets
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. (Optional if baking).
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the broccoli and onion and cook until the vegetables soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the ham cubes. Sprinkle on the flour and dry mustard and stir to coat the vegetables and ham. Pour in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Cheddar, Velveta cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted. Add the macaroni and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Serve immediately or proceed to step 5.
- (Optional) Sprinkle the top of the casserole with breadcrumbs and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Category: side
- Method: stove top, oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to, broccoli, ham, macaroni, cheese