These empanadas have all the flavors of Jalapeno poppers but without the bacon. However, if you wanted to use bacon you could opt for tofu bacon to keep them vegetarian or go with traditional bacon.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature [See Note]
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded [See Note]
- 6 jalapenos, charred, peeled, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 package (10-rounds) frozen empanada wrappers, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and poblanos until well incorporated. Season the filling with salt and pepper.
- Unfold 1 sheet puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 5-inch diameter cutter, cut out 4 circles. Repeat with the remaining puff pastry sheet. Spoon 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture in the center of each round. Brush the edge of each circle with egg wash and fold each empanada into a half moon. Crimp the edges with a fork.
- Transfer the empanadas to the prepared baking sheet and brush them with the remaining egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Increase the spiciness by leaving in the seeds, or add a habanero pepper to the mix.
Nutrition is calculated based on the recipe as written. Additions, omissions, or substitutions will change the calculated values shown. The addition, omission, or substitution of ingredients will alter the nutritional information shown. Nutrition percentages are based on a 2000-calorie diet. The FDA recommends 80 micrograms of vitamin K.
- Category: Dinner, appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Jalapeno Popper Empanadas, Appetizer, MSG free, Easy, homemade, party ideas, cream cheese recipes, frozen empanada wrapper, kid frienly, Tex-mex recipes,