For Valentines Day, I wanted to make my husband a steakhouse-style dinner. He’s a meat and potatoes kind of guy so, I started by boiling baby yellow potatoes.
When they were perfectly tender, I drained them and put them on a baking sheet with some olive oil. I then flattened them with the bottom of a cup, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and tossed them back in the oven to crisp up. Whilee they were in the oven, I prepared the fresh parsley pesto.
I topped the potatoes with the pesto and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. We couldn’t get enough of these delicious little potatoes – even our 7-year old daughter loved the parsley pesto. These potatoes are creamy and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Paired with fresh herb pesto (my favorite) and I’m pretty sure I could devour these as my main dish – forget the steak.
These make a great side dish especially when you’re already baking in the oven for the main part of the meal. To speed these up, you can steam them in the microwave but today I’ve boiled them until tender and then crisped them up in the oven. There’s just something about the taste of a roasted potato that I crave.
Looking for more vegetable side dishes? Check these out:
- Garden Vegetable Rice
- Easy Sweet and Sour Harvard Beets
- Easy Braised Collard Greens
- Creamed Spinach – Steakhouse Style
These Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Parmesan and Parsley Pesto make a great side dish, especially for a meat and potatoes type meal. To speed these up, you can steam them in the microwave, but today I’ve boiled them until tender and then crisped them up in the oven. The fresh herb pesto is great on seafood and chicken as well as these spunky little spuds.
- 24 ounces Dutch yellow baby potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups packed, stemmed flat Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup slivered almond (small 2 oz bag)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes; drain well.
- Place potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a potato masher, bottom of a cup, or a fork, smash the potatoes until flattened but still in one piece. Drizzle with a little olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
- Place into oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- In a food processor place the garlic, parsley, pinch salt, almond slivers, and Parmesan cheese. Process until they form a paste. Gradually blend in olive oil, taste and adjust your seasonings to taste.
- Drizzle potatoes with parsley pesto, grate additional fresh parmesan over the top.
- Serve warm.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg