Making your own sweet and sour sauce is easy and economical and starts with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. All you need is some sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and a dash of soy sauce.
- 4lb (64 ounces) raw, unbreaded, chicken wings
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar [See Note]
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can chunk pineapple [See Note], optional
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cubed, optional
- Sliced scallions
- black sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Transfer wings to a 5-qt. slow cooker ; add sugar mixture. Cover and cook on low until chicken juices run clear, 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Transfer wings to a serving dish; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. [See Note]
- Spoon thickened sauce over chicken. Serve with a slotted spoon.
1) if you use pineapple chunks with juice, decrease sugar to 1/2 cup. If the sauce is not sweet enough at the end you can always add more. 2). Pineapple and green bell pepper are optional. If you add pineapple, see note 1. 3). If you prefer, you can thicken the sauce with cornstarch instead of boiling it to thicken. Skim the fat off the top of the sauce with a serving spoon. In a small dish, add 1 -2 tbsp of cornstarch with 1-2 tbsp cold water and mix until combined. Add cornstarch mixture into the crock pot. Stirring to combine with the sauce. The sauce should thicken pretty qucikly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: how to, slow cooker, crock pot, sweet and sour, chicken, wings, recipe, make, homemade, from scratch,