My family loves bananas. We eat most of them fresh. My daughter and I like them more on the firm side yellow with just a slight hint of green (just barely ripe) to just fully yellow and firm. These for me most times only have a 2 or 3-day window to be eaten before they are past their prime. My husband likes his a little riper say 3 to 5 days and just start to spot. Once they pass this mark, or sometimes even before, I cut into chunks and freeze for our on-the-go breakfast smoothies. If they get to the spotted stage and too soft, they go into a banana bread or muffin or frozen for future banana bread, and muffins.
This week, I purchased an extra bunch of bananas to freeze for after school snacks for our daughter who has just started school. I’ve made these in the past for myself when she was a baby and dubbed them Banana Bon Bons. They are creamy, chocolaty, and delicious! Simple to prepare, these Frozen Banana Bites go together in just a few minutes. You can also prepare many at a time and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once set, transfer them to a baggie or other container in the freezer until you are ready to serve. These really hit the spot as an after school snack.
Another simple and delicious version is to add a dab of peanut butter (sun butter or almond butter also work well) or hazelnut spread onto the banana slices before dipping them into the chocolate. We mix all the variations into a single storage bag and enjoy the variations in our snack time. If you prefer, you can add a wooden cocktail stick (no pointy ends please!) into the bananas but we leave ours plain for ease of storage.
For further fun twists, you may opt to top them with chopped nuts, sprinkles or other fun accouterments — or simply leave them plain for a more healthful snack.
Frozen Banana Bites
Yield 3 cups
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Assorted toppings for coating bananas such as chopped peanuts, shredded coconut or candy sprinkles
- Assorted center coatings such as caramel, peanut butter and nutella
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and frozen
- Top frozen banana slices with peanut butter, caramel or hazelnut spread, if desired.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt chocolate and oil over a double boiler until smooth. Remove from burner and let stand over steaming water to keep chocolate warm.
- Place each topping in separate shallow dish. Dip 1 frozen banana slice at a time in chocolate, coating completely. Shake off excess chocolate and place on chilled cookie sheet. Top with topping(s). Repeat the process with remaining frozen banana slices, chocolate, and toppings. Store in a zip top freezer bag until ready to eat.