These Gingersnap Cookies are a must have for holiday gatherings and gift-giving. This gingersnap recipe is special since each cookie gets a zesty ginger flavor from the addition of crystallized ginger.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2–1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-ounces cystallized ginger, diced fine
- finishing sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Add the chopped crystallized ginger
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls, then roll in finishing sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° until puffy and lightly browned, 12-15 minutes [See Note 1].
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For a softer ginger cookie, bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to, gingersnap, cookies, baking, holiday, winter