As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Boxty is a traditional Irish potato pancake. These make the perfect accompaniment to any Irish dinner or celebration.
These traditional Irish Potato Pancakes have as many recipe variations as it has names throughout the region. This is a more popular dish in the Midlands than around coastal areas and also started as a peasant dish that dates back to the Irish famine. Some recipes call for it to be made thinner like a potato lefse, a soft Norwegian flat bread, very similar to a tortilla but made of potatoes. Some recipes are prepared thicker like a croquette or baked all at once into a loaf. The Scottish have a similar recipe called Tattie Scones.
The most popular version of the dish, which I’ve made today, consists of finely grated, raw potatoes and leftover mashed potatoes mixed with flour, baking soda, and buttermilk. I rinsed and strained the grated potato to remove the excess starch and water. This is the type my Mom always made with our leftover potatoes which I have to assume she prepared just like her Mom and her grandmother before her who hailed from Ireland.
To modernize this simple dish, I simply added some scallions and bit of Irish cheddar cheese but if you prefer to stick with tradition, you may omit those ingredients. I then fried the cakes in a skillet with a tablespoon or two of butter mixed with just a little canola oil to help raise the smoking point of the butter.
We served ours with an unsweetened applesauce. This is how my Nana always liked her potato pancakes. My kid loved this recipe and asked for a second helping!
LOOKING FOR MORE IRISH RECIPES?
Want To Try This Boxy – Irish Potato Pancakes Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Boxty - Irish Potato Pancakes
- 1 cup raw - , grated potatoes
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Irish Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup scallions - , sliced
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs - , lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (about) milk to mix
- Butter or oil for frying
- Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes, cheese, scallions and eggs.
- Add enough mix to make a batter.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil.
- Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan.
- Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side).
- Butter each boxty and serve hot.
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on