This one-pot chicken and rice is naturally gluten-free. To make sure you have a completely gluten-free chicken and rice recipe be sure to check the product packaging for the sausage you choose.
How do I make Chicken Pilau?
- Saute the vegetables. Photo 1 below.
- Brown the rice. Photo 2 below.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer. Photo 3 below.
- Stir in the chicken and sausages. Photo 4 below.
For full recipe directions, see the printable recipe card below.
What ingredients are in Chicken Bog?
- Shredded chicken – I use leftover roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Smoked Sausage – I use Adelle’s Andouille sausages which are also gluten-free.
- Bell pepper – red, yellow, or green – use whichever is your favorite or that you have on hand.
- Onion – I use sweet onions like Vidalia but you can also use a brown onion if you prefer.
- Carrot – we use fresh carrot rounds that we quarter, but you can also use frozen carrots.
- Celery – We enjoy the flavor from the celery, if you do not have a stalk or two of celery, you can omit it without substitution.
- Rice – do not use quick-cooking rice. You need whole long-grain rice for the recipe.
- Chicken Stock – I use unsalted chicken cooking stock that is gluten-free. You may use your favorite brand but if you use salted chicken stock, remember to decrease the salt in your overall dish.
- Parsley – I use fresh slat-leaf Italian parsley that has been minced. I stir this in right at the end and enjoy the pop of brightness it gives to the dish.
- Hot Sauce – optional. Your favorite brand is always the best.
For exact measurements, see the printable recipe card below.
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest – I am always pinning quick & easy new recipes!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Lowcountry Chicken Pilau
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper , more or less to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth (i use unsalted cooking stock that's also GF)
- 2 cups shredded chicken leftover, roasted, or rotisserie
- 1 lb smoked sausage sliced into rounds and then quartered. Andouille is our favorite but you can use your favorite.
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced, mixed in and a sprinkle as garnish
- Hot Sauce Your favorite brand is aways best.
- In a large deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil medium-high heat, add the chopped onion, green pepper, carrots, and celery. Saute until the onion is tender.
- Add the rice and saute, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Season with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add the chicken broth to the skillet.
- Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer over low heat for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Stir the shredded chicken, smoked sausage, and minced parsley into the rice; allow to heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with additional minced parsley, if desired.