This Meatball Florentine changes everything! Served as an appetizer, as meatball sliders with a side of steamed vegetables or with a side of whole wheat pasta, my kids love these meatballs. I start with my basic recipe for meatballs, add loads of spinach and quietly plate their food! I often find myself wondering why neither of them questions the big spots of spinach inside their meatballs but I don’t dare draw attention to it. They just love them and I really cannot ask for more than that. Can I?
I know I have some finicky eaters on my hands so if they like them, it’s a sure sign that I’m onto something good!
Yield 6 servings
Served as an appetizer, as sliders with fresh basil and mozzarella or as a main meal with a side of whole wheat pasta, these meatballs Florentine are delicious.
- non-stick spray or Olive Oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 lb lean hamburger, ground chicken or ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp Italian spice blend *See Notes
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, panko, fresh bread crumbs, or Gluten Free Bread crumbs
- 3 cups ( 24 oz) organic spaghetti sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil, torn, optional garnish
- Parmesan and/or Fresh Mozzarella, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw, drain and squeeze excess water out of the spinach.
- In a large bowl, add hamburger, Italian seasoning, drained spinach, salt and pepper and mix gently until just incorporated.
- Add bread crumbs and mix again until just incorporated.
- Shape the meat mixture into round balls slightly larger than a walnut (about 1 to 1-1/2 inches) and place on a prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs into the skillet with the simmering sauce and toss to coat.
- As an optional garnish, add cheese and torn basil.
Italian spice blend is a seasoning mix made of dried spices which includes Basil leaf, Marjoram Leaf, Oregano leaf, Rosemary Leaf, Thyme Leaf, & Garlic Powder and should not be mistaken with the salad dressing spice mix which contains other ingredients including sugar, wheat, soy and salt.
Serving Size 6 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.4 g
Saturated Fat 5.1 g
Cholesterol 138 mg
Sodium 520 mg
Total Carbohydrates 86.9 g
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 57.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.