This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
It’s always a challenge to decide what to make for dinner in our house. Sometimes the bigger challenge, however, is getting my kids to eat their vegetables.
This Meatball Florentine changes everything! Served as an appetizer, as meatball sliders with a side of steamed vegetables or with a side of whole wheat pasta, my kids love these meatballs. I start with my basic recipe for meatballs, add loads of spinach and quietly plate their food!
I often find myself wondering why neither of them questions the big spots of spinach inside their meatballs but I don’t dare draw attention to it. They just love them and I really cannot ask for more than that. Can I?
I know I have some finicky eaters on my hands so if they like them, it’s a sure sign that I’m onto something good!
Looking for more recipes rich in leafy greens? Try out this stuffed Kale Recipe.
Served as an appetizer, as sliders with fresh basil and mozzarella or as a main meal with a side of whole wheat pasta, these meatballs Florentine are delicious.
- non-stick spray or Olive Oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 lb lean hamburger, ground chicken or ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp Italian spice blend *See Notes
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, panko, fresh bread crumbs, or Gluten Free Bread crumbs
- 3 cups ( 24 oz) organic spaghetti sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil, torn, optional garnish
- Parmesan and/or Fresh Mozzarella, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw, drain and squeeze excess water out of the spinach.
- In a large bowl, add hamburger, Italian seasoning , drained spinach, salt and pepper and mix gently until just incorporated.
- Add bread crumbs and mix again until just incorporated.
- Shape the meat mixture into round balls slightly larger than a walnut (about 1 to 1-1/2 inches) and place on a prepared sheet pan .
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs into the skillet with the simmering sauce and toss to coat.
- As an optional garnish, add cheese and torn basil.
Italian spice blend is a seasoning mix made of dried spices which includes Basil leaf, Marjoram Leaf, Oregano leaf, Rosemary Leaf, Thyme Leaf, & Garlic Powder and should not be mistaken with the salad dressing spice mix which contains other ingredients including sugar, wheat, soy and salt.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 687
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 520 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 86.9 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 57.2 g
- Cholesterol: 138 mg
Keywords: italian meatball recipe, meatballs with spinach, easy meatball recipes
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on