Homemade Eggnog is rich and creamy with warm undertones from the nutmeg. It’s a tradition that for me, just says it’s the holidays.
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup bourbon or whiskey [See Note 2]
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh nutmeg, grated [See Note 3]
- In the bowl of a stand mixer , beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 2/3 cup sugar and continue to mix together until it has dissolved.
- Add the milk, cream, bourbon (or whiskey) and nutmeg and stir to combine. If you chose to omit the alcohol, increase the milk by 3/4 cup to account for the omission.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 2 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk the egg whites into the milk mixture. Chill and serve.
- This recipe is easily doubled.
- The alcohol may be omitted without substitution.
- Nutmeg adds a warmth and flavor to the eggnog.
- Nutrition is calculated based on the recipe as written. Additions, omissions, or substitutions will change the calculated values shown. The addition, omission, or substitution of ingredients will alter the nutritional information shown. Nutrition percentages are based on a 2000-calorie diet. The FDA recommends 80 micrograms of vitamin K.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: homemade eggnog recipe, eggnog with bourbon, easy eggnog recipe