Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie’s are a fun and kid-friendly treat that your whole family will love.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Buttercream filling (recipe follows):
- 2/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Fine salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking sheets like silpat; set aside. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl; set aside.
- Add butter, shortening, and sugars to the bowl of an electric mixer and cream together until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg; beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add half the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla; beat until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture. Beat together, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- With a table spoon or small scoop, drop batter circles about 2 inches apart on each baking sheet. Bake until the cookies spring back to the touch, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let cookies cool on baking sheets, 10 minutes.Transfer with a metal spatula to a wire rack; let cool completely. Meanwhile, line a cooled baking sheet with a new piece of parchment; repeat process with remaining batter.
- Cream peanut butter and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed. On low speed, mix in sugar until combined, then beat mixture on high speed until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Spread buttercream on flat sides of half the cookies.Top each with one of the remaining cookies, flat side down, and gently press together. Transfer whoopie pies to a serving tray
Keywords: how to, peanut butter, chocolate, whoopie pies, cake, dessert