It happens the same way every single time. The recipes we take for granted because we think they are so simple are always our most requested recipes. Take, for example, this simple Fresh Salsa also known as Pico de Gallo.
I’ve known Dina for close to 20 years. She and her family came up to visit us over the summer when our herb and vegetable garden was in full production. My husband and I whipped up this fresh salsa for all of us as a snack to tide us over until dinner. And then, it happened….
Dina took one bite of this fresh salsa on our freshly baked tortilla chips and looked over at me with a look of both shock and excitement on her face and said: “You HAVE to give me your recipe for this!” I looked back at her with what I am sure was a puzzled look on my face and replied: “I don’t know what you mean, I don’t really have a recipe it’s just tomatoes, an onion, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, a little lime, and some salt.” And so began the conversation of how many and how much of each ingredient and many other conversations and laughter as we all finished off the bowl of salsa and started prepping her famous London Broil for dinner.
I’ve had this similar situation happen again this past week when I was in Florida visiting my family. My husband whipped up a batch of our fresh salsa for the super bowl and again it was a hit with my aunt and uncle requesting the recipe and so I thought I should share this little recipe which is tried and true with all of you.
Pico De Gallo - Fresh Salsa
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper 1-2 depending on spice level, seeded and diced. For hotter salsa, opt for serrano or habanero peppers.
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh is best.
- salt to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice.
- Add jalapenos one at a time, tasting after each addition to see how hot the salsa has become. Jalapeno peppers vary in heat, so it is important to taste the salsa to ensure you do not make it too hot to handle.
- Salt to taste. Enjoy!