Quick & Easy Shephard's Pie Casserole
The addition of Potato rounds makes a welcome change to this age old dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups frozen mixed peas and carrots
- 4 cups frozen potato rounds
- cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Heat a large skillet over high heat for 2 minutes, then add the oil. Crumble the ground beef evenly into the pan. Cook until browned evenly Transfer the beef medium bowl, draining any fat and then set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add the onions, garlic and stir to combine and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook while continuously stirring, about 2 minutes. Add the beef back into the pan along with the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 4 minutes. Fold in the peas and carrots, transfer to a 9x13 inch casserole pan and top with potato rounds. (optional: top with some cheddar cheese).
- Bake until the potato tots are crisp and the meat layer is bubbling up the sides, 20 to 25 minutes.