It was like a light went off. A real ah-ha moment. And so we’ve begun the process of making him some savory oatmeal dishes he can, at long last, really enjoy.
Savory Oatmeal: Ham & Eggs
- 1 cup rolled oatmeal
- 2 cups water or milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, cooked to your preference, we used sunny side up
- 4 slices of Canadian-Style Bacon (center cut pork loin rounds)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- extra milk, as a garnish, if you like your oatmeal more creamy
- 1 tablespoon parsley or chives, minced
- Bring 2 cups milk (or water), salt and ground black pepper to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Stir in 1 cup oats and reduce heat to medium; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cheese and herbs, then remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, cook the Canadian-style bacon and two eggs, we used sunny side up, but you may choose any style you prefer.
- Divide the oatmeal between two bowls, top with Canadian-style bacon slices and an egg.
- Garnish with fresh herbs of your choice like parsley or chives, for example. If you like more creamy oatmeal, stir in a dash of milk just at serving time.