You would never really guess it from my Mother’s Day posts this week, but I’m really not a lover of eggs. I’ve become more fond of them this year as my husband and I have ventured out past our “norm” and have tried new combinations of flavors and even different ways to cook the eggs. Today’s combination though is very classic and encompasses my favorite way to eat eggs. Over easy, poached or scrambled, my favorite way to eat eggs is stacked on toast.
The combination of this roasted asparagus with Havarti and dill on toast with my soft scrambled eggs was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! It really was. It just may be my new favorite quick breakfast – at least while asparagus is in season. Right now, my chives are also in bloom and the purple flowers here are chive blossoms. They are completely edible and taste a bit like garlic. They can be eaten whole of broken up into the scrambled eggs. They are completely optional but we love them. Of course, my husband loves this with a little bit of hot sauce and that’s good, too.
Scrambled Egg and Roasted Asparagus Toast
- 12 asparagus spears
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices Italian bread , sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half or milk
- 4 ounces Havarti cheese
- 8 chives , raw
- Layer the asparagus into a skillet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-8 minutes or until asparagus is roasted yet still slightly crisp. Set aside.
- Toast the bread slices then spread with butter.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and half and half in a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat and add the eggs.
- Let the eggs cook until the edge begins to bubble, then gently push the edges of the egg into the center of the pan with a spatula and continue to stir the eggs.
- Remove from heat while the eggs are still soft and a little wet looking. They will finish cooking using the transfer heat in the pan.
- Top the buttered toasts with 1/2 slice of cheese and 3 to 4 roasted asparagus spears.
- Next top the asparagus with 1/4 of the scrambled eggs. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.