Bursting with flavor, this Puerto Rican version of Skillet Caribbean Chicken and Rice is easy to make and ready in just about 30 minutes.
For the Skillet
- 1 lb chicken, boneless & skinless breast, tenders or thighs cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced Garlic or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1 can (15 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can pigeon peas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup olives drained and sliced
- 1 jar (4 oz.) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 tbsp capersFor the Garnish2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro1 fresh tomato, diced
- In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, form the sofrito base by adding the stewed tomatoes (with all the liquid), onions and garlic. Add the chicken pieces and season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the water and the rice and stir to combine. Heat to boiling and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- When the rice is almost finished, add the pigeon peas, olives, capers and pimentos and stir to incorporate. Cover and simmer until the rice is fully cooked. Stir and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and diced, fresh tomatoes.
If you prefer to skip making your own sofrito, there are commercially prepared versions sold on the International foods aisle in the grocery located where you would find other spanish foods and seasonings. Mexican Oregano, is also usually sold in small packets on this aisle
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: hispanic
Keywords: how to, caribbean, skillet, one-pot, chicken, rice, dinner