Sloppy Joes are the perfect one skillet meal for not only a busy weeknight, but they are perfect to feed a crowd — like on game day. Adding makes them not only healthier for you but also budget conscious.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% or higher)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cans small red kidney beans, pinto beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (15 oz can) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the meat and the onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Pour the drippings out of the pan and discard. Add the garlic, jalapeno, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more. Place a half-cup scoop of the mixture onto each bun and serve.
Keywords: ground beef, sloppy joes, sandwich, with beans