This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Spinach Puffs make an easy and elegant appetizer for Holiday entertaining. These can be prepared a day or two in advance and then baked off just before the party. Ready in just 12 minutes, these Spinach Puffs make entertaining easy!
Spinach Puffs make an easy and elegant appetizer for Holiday entertaining. These can be prepared a day or two in advance and then baked off just before the party. These Spinach Puffs make entertaining easy!
The holiday season is approaching fast. For me, it feels as if it’s approaching faster than normal; Hyperspeed. The days and weeks are just flying by in a rush and blur. Do you feel it too? It’s already time to test recipes for the holidays and try them out on my friends, coworkers, and unsuspecting family members. (Looking at you, Honey and my sweet little girl). ;)
After you assemble the spinach into the puff pastry shell, grate a little extra nutmeg over the top of each one before sealing the corners, it really makes the dish. You can make these in full-size cups or bite-sized minis using a mini muffin tin. The baking time is still the same since that has more to do with cooking the pastry dough than the spinach.
So I bought some puff pastry dough and some other ingredients to try making my creamed spinach recipe into a tasty appetizer for the Holidays. They are pretty simple to make, and it tastes great in the puff pastry packaging. Even my 6-year old daughter liked these.
Afterward, I brush the tops of my pastry with a little cream to encourage browning. If you prefer a more glossy sheen to the browning, use a beaten egg.
A general rule of thumb is to figure 1-2 pieces of per person for each appetizer your prepare. Since I hate to run out of anything and want my guests to leave full and happy, I usually make 3-4 per person depending on the variety of appetizers I am providing and how long between the appetizer course and the first or main course of my dinner. I do usually have some left over which we usually reheat the following day and have as a light lunch for my family.
Looking for more Appetizer Recipes?
- Air Fryer Ravioli
- Nashville Hot Chicken Wings
- Baked Parmesan Cheese Fries
- BLT Dip
- Barbecue Dry-Rubbed Chicken Wings
- Spinach Dip Stuffed French Bread
Want To Try This Spinach Puff Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
- 1 10- ounce package of frozen chopped spinach - , thawed [See Note]
- 2 Tbsp butter - (half stick)
- 1 tsp garlic - , minced
- 1/4 cup white onion - , chopped fine
- 1-1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream - , milk or half and half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper - , more or less, to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 sheet of puff pastry - , thawed
- 2 tbsp milk or cream [See Note]
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove excess water from the thawed spinach by squeezing it in paper towels, a small wire sieve, or a clean kitchen towel. Wring it out good an tight.
- Into a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the minced garlic and the finely chopped onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Then add the spinach and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the spinach with the flour and mix to combine. Add the cream and stir combine then add the cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg again stirring to combine.
- Cut the puff pastry into three strips at the folds then cut each strip into 3 equal squares. These squares should be the size of a regular muffin tin well. If a square is too small, simply roll it out or stretch the dough with your hands to the appropriate size. Place the dough into a 6-well muffin tin which has been prepared with cooking spray.
- Fill each well with the spinach mixture. Grate a small amount of fresh nutmeg over the top of each well. Fold the pastry over the top.
- Brush the tops of each pastry with milk, cream or egg wash.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12 - 15 minutes. The dough should be golden brown and the spinach will be hot and bubbly.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- 1). Thawing times mary vary depending on room temperature. I oven thaw mine overnight in the freezer - which goes against the package instructions but still works well for me.
- The nutritional information is based of 12 puff pastries.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Baked Goat Cheese Dip
This post was last updated on