Yield 3 1/2 doz
Sugar cookies make for perfect platters and buffets. Rolled out and decorated or sliced and baked these are perfect. Freezer friendly, too.3 1/2
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide the dough in half, form into logs, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This helps in cutting the cookies and in keeping the cookies from spreading too much while baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For SLICED cookies:
- Roll the logs into colored sugar crystals (optional). Slice logs into rounds at 1/4 inch intervals. Place about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes and then move a wire rack to cool completely. Serve as is or ice. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
- For ROLLED cookies:
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with a little flour or powdered sugar.
- Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator, sprinkle the rolling pin with flour and powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. If dough warmed during rolling, place cookie sheet in the freezer to chill for about 10 minutes. Cut into shapes, place cookies about 1-inch apart on a parchment or silicone lined (silpat) baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges. Cool for 2 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve as is or top with royal icing. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.3 g
Saturated Fat 2.6 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 42 mg
Total Carbohydrates 10.9 g
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.