In the past few years, air fryers have dominated the store shelves. It’s easy to understand why given the promise of creating healthier fried foods. But would you buy one just because it makes a great french fry? Probably not. First, let’s look at what an Air fryer is exactly.
An Air Fryer actually isn’t a fryer at all, it cooks your food like a convection oven by circulating hot air around with a fan. The genius part is that the hot air creates the same crispiness of fried foods with much less oil than a traditional deep fryer.
Despite its convenience, the air fryer still isn’t magic, and getting great results requires a little more finesse than simply closing the basket and turning it on. But once you have the right techniques in your pocket, you’ll be creating perfect recipes in your air fryer in no time at all.
So why do I love the air fryer so much? I’ve got 10 good reasons, right here:
Ten Reasons to Love your Air Fryer
- It creates real food. Since it’s a small convection oven, the air fryer can handle many foods you might roast or bake with little fuss.
- Low-fat frying. The intended purpose of the air fryer holds true. Instead of quarts of oil to fry, we use a small amount and achieve crispy results.
- Set it and (practically) forget it. Air Frying requires very little monitoring – unlike frying on the stovetop which is much more tedious. Other than occasionally tossing or turning over the food (usually halfway), it does all the work for you.
- Minimal mess. Since it’s an enclosed system, there’s no oil splattering or a pile of dirty dishes. Most are non-stick and dishwasher safe.
- No stove (or oven) required. Sometimes not having to turn on the stove is a blessing. The air fryer also allows those without a stove or oven to be able to make quick dinner in one countertop device.
- It’s fast! In most recipes, the air fryer shaves minutes off your recipe cook time.
- Easy meals for kids. Not only can I crisp of french fries or chicken tenders, but I reheat pizza and other items in the air fryer as well. Seafood is amazingly crisp again after a quick re-heat in the air fryer basket.
- Standard Air Fryer is Ideal for one or two people. Most standard size air fryers are great for recipes for one or two people. New XL versions are also great for families.
- Perfect Sous Chef. Have too much in the oven or stovetop and need a place to cook another dish? Pop it in the air fryer and free up that valuable space in your oven or on the stovetop.
- Produces even results. The biggest remark we hear in our kitchen is that people can’t believe it came from the air fryer. The results are amazing.
Choosing the right Air fryer:
Air fryers come in all different shapes and sizes but they all operate in a similar way. Not all air fryer drawers are removable and some load from the top. Some have shelves and racks rather than a basket.
An XL air fryer isn’t necessary but is convenient when cooking for more than one or two people. Select a size appropriate to your family or cooking style.
Selecting the Right Temperature:
Settings can and do vary between models. Different models use different temperature increments. If your model cannot be set to a specified temperature, select the closest available temperature setting.
Testing for Doneness of a recipe:
Always check food on the low end of the suggested cooking time and add time as needed. This helps account for the slight variations between models.