Turkey, Thyme & Swiss Scones are a delicious savory scone made for those of us who like to escape the more traditional sweet scones for a quick breakfast.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and grated
- 5 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
- 8 oz cubed turkey meat
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk plus 1-2 tablespoons more if necessary
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and thyme in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a fork, two butter knives or a pastry blender until the butter is mostly incorporated. Stir in the shredded cheese and cubed turkey until it’s completely coated with flour.
- Use a fork to mix in the cream and then the milk until the dough comes together; knead it a couple times with your hands.
- The dough should come together, but not be too wet. If the dough is too crumbly, add milk a little at a time until it comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll or press the dough out to a circle about 7 to 8 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. Use a floured 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter to cut out the scones, gathering up the scraps of dough and reworking as necessary.
- Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, lightly brush the tops with milk.
- Bake until the scones are puffed and light golden brown on top and bottom, about 14 to 16 minutes.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: easy scone recipe, turkey scone recipe, cheese scone recipe