This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
This hearty White Chicken Chili has Southwest flavors and you can prepare it from mild to spicy and anywhere in between just by varying your choice of fresh hot (or mild) peppers. This soup gets a certain creaminess from the beans but the spices make it warm and inviting with a spicy kick from your choice of hot peppers.
For this version of my White Chicken Chili, I’ve roasted 2 poblano peppers and a jalapeno pepper on my gas grill but this can also be done under the broiler in the oven until it’s nice and charred. Once they are done, I pop them into a bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap to steam and cool. When cool enough to handle, the skins just rub right off. Then I remove the seeds and white membranes — this is where a chili pepper holds the bulk of its heat — and dice. For a spicier chili, leave the membranes attached before you dice them.
Rather than use my slow cooker for this version of my White Chicken Chili, I opt to cook this quick chili on the stovetop. To make it a 30-minute meal, I start with leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken which I shred and add into the soup to simmer. I like to top mine with a bit of cheese, some fresh cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lime and some sour cream. The flavors are amazing.
Love Soup? Check out some of my other soup recipes:
- Fall Butternut squash Soup
- Smoky Tomato-Basil Soup
- Vietnamese Wonton Noodle Soup – Mi Hoanh Thanh
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds shredded chicken
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 4-ounce cans diced green chili peppers
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, roasted, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 13.5-ounce can cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Optional Garnish:
- shredded cheese
- lime wedges
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- your favorite hot sauce
- In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven , add the onions, celery, green chili peppers and cook on medium high until they soften, about 3-5 minutes. Next add the garlic, cumin, salt, oregano, and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook the spices for 1-2 minutes and then add the shredded chicken and pour the chicken stock over top, covering the chicken and vegetables by an inch or so.
- Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, add the beans and corn. Taste and adjust the salt and other seasonings as desired. Add the lid back on and cook for the remaining time.
- Serve with shredded cheese, wedges of lime, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.
For the Crock Pot: Add all the ingedients into the crock pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours. Recommend a 6-quart crock pot.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg