This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Although scones are normally thought of as sweet, there are many savory varieties like this ham & cheese version and this Turkey, Thyme and Swiss version, too. We serve this savory scone recipe with a tossed salad or bowl of soup for a light meal.
Ham & Cheese Scones. While scones are usually of the sweet variety, These savory scone make for a delicious and hearty breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup milk plus 2 tablespoons of milk, separated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ham, chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp roasted garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 green onion, scallion, or chives sliced into fine rings (optional)
- Non fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Then add the melted butter, milk cheese, pepper, garlic powder, parsley and green onions. Stir together just until a soft dough forms and then mix well with a fork for about 30 seconds. The dough will still be slightly
- Prepare a cooking tray with non fat cooking spray, a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, turn the dough out onto the prepared surface. With lightly oiled or greased fingers, pat the dough out into a circle about 9 inches in diameter. With a pizza wheel, slice the dough into 8 pieces. Place the dough on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart for even cooking. Brush the tops of the scones with the remaining 2 tbsp of milk.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the scone should come out clean. If they are still a little doughy, return them to the oven and bake a few minutes longer.
Keywords: how to, ham, cheese, scone, biscuit