My husband and I have been working for months to develop a homemade BBQ sauce because while we already make our own seasonings and sauces at home.
We did not want to start with ketchup as our base and instead began simply with a can of organic tomato sauce. What we finally achieved was a basic barbecue sauce that is great as a stand-alone sauce but that is also the framework for many other flavors and styles of sauces. With this basic barbecue sauce as our base, the possibilities are endless.
I’m a person who eats quite by my mood and while I may crave a sweet, spicy or smoky sauce one day, I may not feel like that the next time we have a barbecue. This original barbecue sauce is made with just the fundamentals, so it’s perfect for even my fussy eater.
This recipe makes enough for a couple of BBQ chicken pizzas or for several BBQ Pork sandwiches. However, if you are basting a bunch of chicken or ribs, you may want to double it.
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest – I am always pinning quick & easy new recipes!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Basic Barbecue Sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can organic tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp (approx. 1 whole lemon) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- To a small sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, add the can of tomato sauce.
- Add all the other ingredients and whisk together to fully combine.
- Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.