Fresh basil and tomatoes are combined with mozzarella cheese and a light vinaigrette to form this classic Italian salad.
This is a perfect side dish to serve with some fresh ravioli which is exactly what we did tonight for dinner but this is a favorite light lunch with a slice of fresh Italian bread.
If you wanted to prepare this ahead of time for a picnic or party, it’s easy to do. Simply follow the directions but leave the basil whole until you are just ready to serve. Basil needs to be used at the very last minute. Tear or chiffonade the basil just prior to serving as it oxidizes and turns brown, similar to a sliced apple or potato. This will keep your salad looking fresh and beautiful for your guests.
LOOKING FOR MORE SALAD RECIPES?
Want To Try This Caprese Salad Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Fresh basil and tomatoes are combined with mozzarella cheese and a light vinaigrette for this classic Italian salad.
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 15 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup miniature mozzarella balls
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl, whisking well to blend.
- Next, add tomatoes, basil leaves, and mozzarella cheese. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately (see notes).
If you wish to prepare this ahead of a party, follow all the directions except leave the basil whole. Tear and toss into salad just as serving. Basil will turn color very shortly after it’s torn or chopped for the salad.
Keywords: Italian, Caprese, Salad, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil