This Homemade Chicken Tender recipe is low in fat and calories. Don’t let that fool you, they are packed with flavor! Ready in just 12-minutes, this is one meal your entire family will love!
I am so totally loving my new Power Air Fryer! I can’t even begin to tell you how often we use this appliance. It’s the best new gadget I’ve gotten in a long time.
This healthy chicken tender recipe is ready in just 12 minutes! It has a fraction of the fat and calories of traditional fried chicken tenders because these are air fryer chicken tenders!
SIGN. ME. UP.
I really do love my Power Air Fryer XL! Let me tell you why:
1. Cooking in the Air Fryer XL is FAST! It takes only 12 minutes to cook these Air Baked chicken tenders.
2. It is EASY to use. Simply select your temp, add the cooking time, and it’s ready to go in seconds!
3. Clean-up is SIMPLE. The Power Fryer XL has a nonstick surface, making it easy to clean. No more discarding the oil and cleaning the oil from the fryer!
4. It’s a WORKHORSE in the kitchen. It turns out deliciously crunchy food but without the added fats and oils of frying.
Of course, Garlic Parmesan is one of our favorite recipes, especially for fried chicken strips. If you’re not watching your calories, these are also great with a little brown butter drizzle.
Chicken is a powerhouse food easily adapting to nearly any flavor combination you can imagine. It is a great source of protein and a relatively good source for niacin and iron. Skinless chicken breast meat has fewer calories than dark meat, making it a great food if you’re watching your weight.
We’ve substituted these breaded chicken tenders anywhere we would normally eat chicken wings for a lower-calorie and lower-fat diet. Using our air fryer helps us achieve these goals since we cook with far less oil.
What’s in Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders?
Ingredients for homemade chicken strips:
- Chicken tenders (chicken fingers of chicken nuggets), raw
- canola oil, olive oil, or non-fat cooking spray
For the dredge coating:
- Panko Japanese bread crumbs: Panko is the “special ingredient” in these chicken tenders. I prefer panko to regular breadcrumbs because of it’s texture it creates a crispier tender as compared to traditional breadcrumbs. Especially when you are using the air fryer, panko makes a huge difference in the recipe!
- Salt: I use fine Kosher salt but regular table salt may be substituted. If you prefer, you may substitute seasoned salt.
- Ground black pepper: Freshly cracked has extraordinary flavor but ground works well, too.
- Garlic powder: I prefer roasted garlic powder for its deep flavor but plain garlic powder may also be used.
- Onion powder: May be omitted if you do not care for onion powder.
- Parmesan cheese: I used freshly grated Parmesan cheese as it’s more flavorful but you may substitute shredded Parmesan.
- Dipping Sauce: A sauce is optional. We love ranch or blue cheese dressing but these are also good with a drizzle of lemon juice.
How to Make Chicken Tenders?
- Create the Panko dredge station in a large shallow bowl or baking pan. In a second bowl or pan, create the egg wash station.
- Dip chicken tenders into the egg wash.
- Dip tenders into the panko bread crumbs mixture.
- Place the coated chicken into the fry basket. Spray a light coat of non-fat cooking spray over the panko to encourage browning.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Cook for 12 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken tenders). This time could be longer or shorter.
- See the recipe card below for full instructions.
Want to try this Easy Chicken Tender Recipe?
Pin it to your AIR FRYER, CHICKEN, DINNER or APPETIZER board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders
- 8 chicken tenders , raw
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- canola or non-fat cooking spray
For the dredge coating:
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper , more or less to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Pictured here served with Homemade Ranch Dressing.
- 1 cup Your Favorite DIpping sauce - like
Ranch Dressing, Honey mustard, Blue Cheese, or even BBQ!
- Combine the dredge coating ingredients in a shallow bowl or baking pan large enough to fit the chicken pieces.
- In a second shallow bowl or baking pan, place egg and water and whisk to combine.
- Dip chicken tenders into the egg wash and then into the panko dredge mixture.
- Place the breaded tenders into the fry basket. Repeat with remaining tenders.
- Spray a light coat of canola oil or non-fat cooking spray over the panko.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees and fry for 12 minutes. Check the chicken halfway through the cooking time and turn the chicken over to brown the other side.
- Note: The cooking time may be more or less depending on the size and thickness of your chicken tenders, finers or nuggets, and the quantity of chicken in the basket.
- For best results, do not skip coating the chicken with your favorite cooking spray or turning them halfway through cooking.
- Dipping sauce calories not included in the recipe calorie count.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.