As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
This EASY Alice Springs Chicken, is a copycat of Outback Steakhouse’s recipe
What is Alice Springs Chicken?
Outback Steakhouse is best known for its steaks, of course, but one of their best-selling dishes is not steak at all. Alice Springs Chicken is one of their most popular menu items and it’s not hard to imagine why. Wood-fire grilled chicken breast is topped with sautéed mushrooms, crisp bacon, melted Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses and glazed with honey mustard sauce. It is most often served with Aussie fries. The flavor combination is nothing short of amazing and the first time I had it I was hooked.
OK. So, Why is it called Alice Springs Chicken?
Outback Steakhouse is an American food chain which names their dishes after the lingo and places found in Australia. The chicken is named after a large town named Alice Springs which is found in the Northern Territory of Australia.
How is Alice Springs Chicken Cooked?
Some copycat recipes start with marinating the chicken in honey mustard and then pan sauteeing it on the stove. A real Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken is grilled — not pan sauteed. That distinction alone is what sets this recipe apart from the others. This is a difference you can taste by the flavors achieved from grilling the chicken and then glazing it with honey mustard dressing.
However, if an outdoor grill is not available to you, you can also grill this on a cast iron grill or cast iron skillet and finish it in the oven to avoid smoking up the kitchen. This will yield the most true-to-taste flavor.
What Ingredients are in Alice Springs Chicken?
- Chicken – boneless, skinless chicken breast halves work best.
- Salt and ground black pepper – I use fine Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Sliced mushrooms – I use baby Bella mushrooms, but white button mushrooms are also good in this recipe.
- Honey Mustard Sauce – prepared or homemade, both are great.
- Bacon – I like center cut bacon as I find it to be meatier but turkey bacon or precooked bacon may also be used.
- Monterey and Cheddar Cheese – I grate all my cheese just before use. This offers the best flavor. Colby Jack may be substituted.
- Fresh parsley – I prefer Italian flat leaf parsley over curly parsley, it’s what I grow in my herb gardden.
How Do I make Alice Springs Chicken?
Prepare the Grill.
Grill the Chicken.
Sauté the Mushrooms.
Fry the Bacon.
Assemble the chicken.
Melt the Cheese.
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest – I am always pinning quick & easy new recipes!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Grilled Alice Springs Chicken
- 1/4 cup honey mustard sauce
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless - - about 6-oz portions
- 8 oz sliced white button or baby Bella mushrooms
- Salt and Ground Black pepper
- 4 slices Bacon, - cut in half
- 1 cup Monterey & Cheddar Cheese Blend, - shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh Flat leaf parsley, - chopped (optional)
- Prepare the Grill. Pre-heat the grill to medium-high heat (about 350 degrees F).
- Grill the Chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the chicken for 7 to 8 minutes per side or until a thermometer reads 165°F and the juices run clear. Remove from the grill and set aside to rest on a grill safe sheet pan, cast iron pan, or pizza stone.
- Sauté the Mushrooms. While the chicken cooks, in a small skillet, sauté the sliced mushrooms with 1 tsp oil. Sauté until the mushrooms have let out most of their liquid and have started to turn brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry the Bacon. Into the same pan, add the bacon slices. Cook until well-done turning as needed - about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Assemble the chicken: Brush each seared chicken breast with 1 tbsp of honey mustard. Spoon sauteed mushrooms over the top. Place two halves of cooked bacon on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of Monterey and Cheddar Cheese blend onto each breast.
- Melt the Cheese: Place the pan of prepared chicken breasts back onto the grill over indirect heat and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble.
- Garnish: Sprinkle each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon parsley before serving.
- Serve: Serve with extra honey mustard as a dipping sauce, if desired. For a complete meal, steam broccoli and add air fryer or baked french fries for a complete 30-minute meal.
- Nutrition is calculated based on the recipe as written. The addition or omission of ingredients will alter the nutritional information.
- To make Homemade Honey Mustard:
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Monterey and Cheddar Cheeses may be substituted with shredded Colby Jack Cheese.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Don’t miss these great ideas from these bloggers….
Honey Wheat Bushman Bread | Food, Folks, and Fun
Blooming Onion and Dipping Sauce | Kitch Me
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on