Copycat Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken
When I first met my (now) husband, James, his son was an extremely picky eater. Well, he still is to a certain degree but he has, over the years, come leaps and bounds from where he was when I met him. One way we did this was to serve dipping sauces which I handmade each night as an accompaniment to our dinner. While this was still a crutch, it at least got him to try the different things I prepared for dinner each night.
One night I decided I would make my favorite rendition of “Alice Springs Chicken” from Outback Steakhouse. I knew I would omit the mushrooms from his, as that would never fly, but knew that between the bacon, Colby Jack cheese and honey mustard that this meal was destined to be a winner. And it was.
Bring the flavors of the Outback home with you tonight with this Copycat Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken.
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 4oz portions of boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half moons (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices of bacon, center cut or turkey bacon cooked
- 1 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until a thermometer reads 160°F and the juices run clear. Remove from the grill and set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, saute the sliced mushrooms and onions in the olive oil.
- White the onion and mushrooms are sauteing, combine the Dijon mustard and honey in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the grilled chicken onto a sheet pan (affiliate link) or glass baking dish, then brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the honey mustard marinade. Place one full piece or two halves of cooked bacon on top of each chicken breast and then spoon the sauteed mushrooms and onions over the top of the bacon, being sure to coat each breast evenly. Lastly, spread a layer of Colby Jack cheese onto each breast.
- Bake the pan of prepared chicken breasts for 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and
- starting to bubble.
- Optional: Sprinkle each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon parsley before serving.
- Serve with extra honey mustard as a dipping sauce, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 pc
- Calories: 548
- Sugar: 20.1 g
- Sodium: 1084 mg
- Fat: 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.2 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 52.7 g
- Cholesterol: 148 mg