Fall is a time when we welcome cooler weather and begin turning from traditional lighter summer meals back to our favorite comfort foods.
Recently, I came home from the local farmers market with a bounty of Fall vegetables. My prize pick was a beautiful, butternut squash. I wanted to make something that would give me all the flavors of Fall in one healthful yet hearty meal.
What would be better suited than this rich and creamy soup?
Fall Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots , chopped
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks , diced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt & fresh pepper to taste
- roasted butternut squash seeds (optional)
- Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Add squash, carrots, onions, and celery, saute for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth until vegetables are just covered, bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and place vegetables into a blender (reserve liquid in the pot).
- Blend until smooth, return mixture to pot and stir into liquid, add half and half, salt and pepper to taste and any additional chicken stock to get the consistency you desire.