As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure Policy .
Baked Hashbrown Patties are a staple in our house. My daughter, like me, isn’t much of a breakfast person. I’m lucky to get her to drink a yogurt smoothie on most days. But offer her Baked Hashbrown Patties, and it’s almost always a resounding “Yes!”
These Baked Hashbrown Patties start with basic pantry ingredients together with some fresh herbs and some spices for a tasty breakfast addition. My daughter is not an egg-lover, but there are some baked inside – which helps the patties hold their shape.
I start with some Russet potatoes which I wash, peel and grate with my box grater. If you have a food processor with a grating attachment (disc), it will make quick work of grating the potatoes for you. It only takes a few minutes by hand. If you don’t have Russet potatoes, Yukon gold are always a good second choice for this dish. Both potato varieties are pretty versatile and do well in baked applications.
Four average-sized Russets yields approximately 9 – 12 patties depending on the size mounds you shape them into. The batch I made this day yielded 10 palm-sized rectangular patties.
To the shredded potatoes, add some cheese, eggs, butter, herbs and spices and they are ready to go. In this case, less is more with the amount of butter and I actually only used 2 tablespoons in this batch of Baked Hashbrown Patties. The addition of the onion powder and roasted garlic powder make these really tasty. I also add some green onion (scallions) to them for a little bit of freshness. I only use the green parts and slice them small. If you like the full onion flavor, add it the full chopped scallion and mix to combine.
The baked patties remind me of potato latkes, so I like mine with a bit of sour cream and apple sauce. While she likes all the other flavors and ingredients, my daughter still prefers “just” ketchup. #BabySteps
Baked Hash Brown Patties
- 4 Russet potatoes - , cleaned, peeled and shredded
- 2 Tbsp butter - , melted
- 1 large egg [See Note 1]
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder [See Note 2]
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 scallion - , sliced thinly [See Note 3]
- Preheat the oven to 424 degrees F and line a large rimmed half sheet baking pan with parchment paper.
- Shred the potatoes into a large bowl. Whisk the egg in a small bowl then pour over the potatoes. Add the shredded cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and scallions. Toss to combine. Then pour the melted butter over the top and toss to combine.
- Hand-form the potato mixture into patties and place on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. Serve warm. [See Note 4]
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on