Indulge in crispy and flavorful baked hashbrown patties with our easy-to-follow recipe. Perfect for breakfast, these homemade delights are a must-try for a healthy and tasty start to your day.
Crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside, these Baked Hashbrown Patties are a breakfast dream come true. Our easy-to-follow recipe will have you creating golden brown perfection in no time. Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, these hash brown patties are both healthy and satisfying.
Whether you enjoy them on their own or as a side dish, their incredible flavor and texture will leave you craving more. Say goodbye to the frozen variety and experience the joy of homemade goodness. Get ready to impress your family and friends with these mouthwatering treats. Try our baked hash brown patties today and elevate your breakfast game to a whole new level!
Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, our Baked Hashbrown Patties feature grated potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and a touch of oil.
- Potatoes – Use Russet or Yukon gold potatoes for the best texture and flavor in your hash brown patties.
- Butter – Salted and unsalted are both great in this recipe
- Eggs – these are used as a binder.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Use whatever cheese you prefer, we use sharp cheddar, Colby Jack, or Habanero pepper.
- Herbs & Spices – mix and match to your desired taste.
- Scallion – optional
How to make Baked Hashbown Patties
- Preheat oven.
- In a bowl, combine grated potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into patties and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush patties with oil and bake, flipping halfway.
- Remove from oven when golden brown and crispy.
Recipe tips and kitchen tricks
- Use russet or Yukon gold potatoes for the best texture and flavor in your Baked Hashbrown Patties.
- Squeeze out excess moisture from the grated potatoes to achieve crispier patties.
- For extra flavor, add minced garlic or your favorite herbs and spices to the potato mixture.
- Grease the baking sheet generously to prevent sticking.
- Flip the patties halfway through baking for even browning on both sides.
- If you prefer a softer texture, you can parboil the grated potatoes for a few minutes before mixing them with the other ingredients.
- Experiment with different toppings and dips, such as sour cream, salsa, or ketchup, to enhance the taste of your hash brown patties.
- Make a large batch and freeze the extras for quick and convenient breakfast options.
- Consider adding shredded cheese or diced vegetables to the mixture for added flavor and nutrition.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet, as this can lead to uneven cooking. Leave some space between the patties for proper air circulation.
- Southwest Hash Brown Patties: Add diced bell peppers, onions, and a pinch of chili powder to the potato mixture. Serve with salsa and sour cream for a zesty Tex-Mex flair.
- Herbed Hash Brown Patties: Incorporate chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, or rosemary into the potato mixture. The fragrant herbs will add an extra layer of freshness to your patties.
- Sweet Potato Hash Brown Patties: Replace regular potatoes with grated sweet potatoes for a healthier and slightly sweet alternative. Bake as directed, and enjoy the unique flavors and vibrant colors.
- Bacon and Onion Hash Brown Patties: Fry bacon until crispy, crumble it, and mix it with the grated potatoes and sautéed onions. Shape into patties and bake for a delightful combination of smoky bacon and savory onions.
- Veggie-loaded Hash Brown Patties: Boost the nutritional value by adding grated carrots, zucchini, or spinach to the potato mixture. It’s a great way to sneak in extra veggies and create a colorful and nutrient-packed dish.
- Spicy Hash Brown Patties: For heat lovers, add diced jalapeños or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the potato mixture. Serve with a spicy mayo or hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Garlic Parmesan Hash Brown Patties: Mix minced garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley into the potato mixture. The result is a flavorful and cheesy delight that pairs well with any meal.
- Classic Breakfast: Serve the baked hashbrown patties alongside scrambled eggs, crispy bacon or sausage, and a side of fresh fruit for a hearty and satisfying breakfast.
- Brunch Benedict: Top the hashbrown patties with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce for a delicious twist on Eggs Benedict. Garnish with fresh herbs like chives or parsley for added freshness.
- Hashbrown Casserole: Layer the baked hash brown patties in a casserole dish with cheese, cooked bacon or ham, and diced onions. Pour beaten eggs mixed with milk over the layers and bake until set for a hearty breakfast casserole.
- Hash Brown Sliders: Make mini-sized hash brown patties and sandwich them with your favorite fillings like pulled pork, barbecue sauce, coleslaw, or even a mini burger patty for adorable and tasty sliders.
- Hashbrown Hash: Sauté diced bell peppers, onions, and your choice of protein (such as diced ham or chorizo) in a skillet. Add the baked hash brown patties, season with salt and pepper, and cook until heated through. Serve as a flavorful and filling breakfast hash.
- Hashbrown Appetizers: Cut the baked hash brown patties into smaller squares or rounds and use them as a base for appetizers. Top with cream cheese smoked salmon, and dill for elegant bites, or experiment with other toppings like guacamole, salsa, or sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I make Baked Hashbrown Patties ahead of time? Absolutely! You can prepare the hash brown patties ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, simply follow the instructions and adjust the baking time if needed.
Q: Can I freeze the baked hashbrown patties? Yes, you can freeze the baked hash brown patties for future use. Once baked and cooled, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag, separating the patties with parchment paper to prevent sticking. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, simply bake them in a preheated oven until heated through.
Q: Can I use frozen grated potatoes instead of fresh ones? While freshly grated potatoes are recommended for the best texture, you can use frozen grated potatoes as well. Make sure to thaw them completely and squeeze out any excess moisture before using them in the recipe.
Q: Can I make the hash brown patties gluten-free? Yes, you can easily make the hash brown patties gluten-free by using gluten-free ingredients. Ensure that the seasonings, oil, and any additional ingredients you use are certified gluten-free.
Q: Can I make smaller or larger patties? Certainly! You can adjust the size of the patties to your preference. Smaller patties will require less baking time, while larger patties will need a slightly longer baking time. Keep an eye on them while baking to ensure they reach a golden brown color and desired crispness.
Q: Can I use a different type of oil? Yes, you can use a different type of oil if you prefer. Vegetable oil, olive oil, or avocado oil are commonly used alternatives. Just make sure to brush the patties with a thin layer of oil before baking to help them crisp up.
Q: Can I add other ingredients like cheese or vegetables to the potato mixture? Absolutely! Feel free to customize the hash brown patties by adding shredded cheese, diced vegetables, or other desired ingredients to the potato mixture. Just keep in mind that additional ingredients may affect the texture and baking time, so adjust accordingly.
Q: Are hashbrown patties suitable for a vegan diet? The basic recipe includes potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and oil, which are all vegan-friendly. However, if you choose to add eggs, cheese or other non-vegan ingredients, make sure to select vegan alternatives.
Best Brunch Wine and Cocktail Pairings
- Mimosa: A classic brunch cocktail made with sparkling wine and fresh orange juice. Its refreshing citrus flavors pair well with a variety of brunch dishes, from eggs Benedict to fruity pancakes.
- Bellini: This elegant cocktail combines sparkling wine with peach puree or peach schnapps. It’s a perfect choice to accompany light and fruity brunch fares like salads, quiches, or delicate pastries.
- Rosé Wine: With its versatile and crisp profile, rosé wine complements a wide range of brunch dishes. It pairs beautifully with smoked salmon, salads, eggs, and light cheeses.
- Bloody Mary: A brunch staple, the savory and spicy Bloody Mary pairs well with savory brunch items like eggs, omelets, and savory breakfast sandwiches. Its tangy tomato flavors and unique spice blend provide a zesty kick.
- Sparkling Wine: Whether it’s Champagne, Prosecco, or Cava, a glass of sparkling wine adds a touch of elegance to any brunch. It pairs wonderfully with a variety of dishes, such as eggs, seafood, brunch pastries, and creamy desserts.
- Aperol Spritz: This refreshing and bittersweet cocktail made with Aperol, Prosecco, and soda water is a fantastic choice for a summer brunch. Its vibrant flavors pair well with light salads, seafood, and bruschetta.
- White Wine (Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay): These crisp and refreshing white wines are versatile options for brunch. They pair well with dishes like eggs Benedict, seafood, salads, and light poultry or vegetarian options.
- Sparkling Water with Fruit Infusions: For a non-alcoholic option, sparkling water infused with fresh fruits like berries, citrus, or cucumber is a refreshing and hydrating choice to enjoy alongside brunch dishes of all kinds.
Baked Hash Brown Patties
- 4 large Russet potatoes , cleaned, peeled and shredded
- 2 Tbsp butter , melted
- 1 large large egg [see note 1]
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder [see note 2]
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 scallion , sliced thinly [See Note 3]
- Preheat the oven to 424 degrees F and line a large rimmed half sheet baking pan with parchment paper.
- Shred the potatoes into a large bowl. Whisk the egg in a small bowl then pour over the potatoes. Add the shredded cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and scallions. Toss to combine. Then pour the melted butter over the top and toss to combine.
- Hand-form the potato mixture into patties and place on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. Serve warm. [See Note 4]