Baked Mac n Cheese was not a dish on our traditional Thanksgiving table but as I studied regional cuisines, found that it graces the Holiday tables throughout much of the Southern United States.
Since moving to South Carolina, I have found that Baked Mac n Cheese has become a new Holiday tradition at our house and folks seem to really enjoy it. Making mac n cheese from scratch is pretty quick seeing as the sauce can be made as the pasta is boiling. If you prefer, you can make a creamy stove top Mac-n-Cheese.
My daughter likes it both ways but keeping with tradition, this one was done baked.
Check out my other mac and cheese recipes:
Creamy Baked Macaroni n Cheese
Making mac n cheese from scratch is pretty quick seeing as the sauce can be made as the pasta is boiling.
- 3 cups macaroni , uncooked
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt & pepper , to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook macaroni according to the package instructions or until just al dente. Be careful not to overcook since the pasta will absorb some sauce during baking and become softer.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter and add flour. Stir to combine and make a roux. Next add milk and whisk completely until the sauce starts to thicken. Next add the cheese and stir to combine until melted whisking out any lumps.
- Taste the cheese mixture and add the salt & pepper, paprika and ground mustard until it has a good taste. When you are content with the taste, add in the pasta and stir well until combined.
- Butter or spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Pour the macaroni and cheese into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with fresh buttered bread crumbs or panko (optional) and bake for 35-45 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly. It will firm up as it cools. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes or until fully set before serving.
Calories: 497kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 20gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 466mgPotassium: 247mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 847IUVitamin C: 1mgVitamin D: 1µgVitamin E: 1mgVitamin K: 3µgCalcium: 411mgFolate: 40µgIron: 2mgZinc: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!