Tender chicken and fluffy gnocchi come together in a creamy broth to create this delicious, creamy chicken gnocchi soup. Don’t skip the secret ingredient!
My daughter loves anything (and everything) made with potatoes. So when I introduced her to this soup and called it simply creamy chicken and gnocchi soup, she really wasn’t that interested. When I described the gnocchi as being fluffy little potato dumplings, she was highly intrigued, to say the least. I plucked one out of the pot of soup on a teaspoon with a little of the creamy sauce and watched her face light up as she tried her very first gnocchi; she was delighted.
It was love at first gnocchi.
I am a fan of gnocchi. I first tried them from a package my Mom and I bought at Sam’s Club many years ago. I thought they were wonderful; they’re really convenient, too – especially for this dish. I’ve since had them made from scratch and there is just no comparison to the light and fluffy texture of a scratch made gnocchi.
However, if you prefer to use packaged gnocchi, I won’t judge. I promise. Both are good.
I’m starting the soup from scratch and making my gnocchi but I’ll show you a few quick and easy alternatives in the notes that are great for a quick weeknight meal.
You can certainly make your own gnocchi, too. They are really easy to make and come together easily. If that’s the way you want to go, here’s the recipe.
Looking for more Gnocchi Recipes?
Want To Try This Recipe?
Pin it to your FOOD AND BEVERAGE OR RECIPE board & SAVE it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning yummy new content!
©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 2 chicken breasts bone-in, [Note 1]
- 32 oz Water
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour [Note 2]
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley , chopped, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional) [Note 3]
- 1 cup Spinach leaves fresh is best
- 16 oz gnocchi [Note 4]
- Cover chicken in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes to poach the chicken and create a chicken broth.
- Remove chicken from pot with a slotted spoon. With two forks, remove as much meat from the bones as you can, shredding the meat in the process.
- Add the carrots, celery and onions to the pot, followed by the parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Mix 1/3 cup flour with a small amount of cold water in a small bowl or cup. Stir or whisk until smooth. Pour into the soup, stirring as you pour it in to prevent clumping. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes, or until broth thickens. Add 2 cups of half and half and the nutmeg (optional). Test and adjust the salt, pepper and nutmeg seasonings if necessary.
- Add the gnocchi and spinach and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers