Cretons is a French-Canadian pork pâté and is sometimes known as “Gorton” around New England. This mildly spiced pork pâté spread is popular in Quebec and areas of New England dense in French-Canadians.
Need some other quick appetizers? Check these out:
Cretons is a French-Canadian pork pâté and is sometimes known as “Gorton” around New England. This mildly spiced pork paté spread is popular in Quebec and areas of New England dense in French-Canadians.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock, milk, OR water
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Place a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and gently fry the ground pork until cooked through. While the pork cooks, use a fork to keep crumbling it.
- Add the onion, garlic, spices, salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and garlic are soft and translucent.
- Lower the heat to a low simmer and continue to cook for about an hour.
- If mixture starts to dry out add beef stock or water to keep it at a very-thick-sauce consistency. Add bread crumbs and mix to combine.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- If needed add beef stock or water so the mixture seems just spreadable.
- Either with an immersion (stick) blender or food processor , grind until fine and granular but not pasty.
- Place the mixture into a glass or ceramic container and seal with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours to overnight for best results. Serve with crostini or toast points.
Serve on crackers as a snack, crostini for a great appetizer, toast points for a hearty breakfast or with mustard as a sandwich for lunch. This also would make a great camping food since it is so versatile. Prepared ahead of time, it would make a lovely addition to the other chilled foods in your cooler.
Keywords: Cretons: A French-Canadian Pork Pâté (Potted Meat), appetizer, easy, Canadian, French potted meat, PArty food, Pork butt, Pork sausage, ground pork, Recipes, Pork pate,