These Gingersnap Cookies (aka Ginger Snaps) are a must-have for holiday gatherings and gift-giving. This gingersnap recipe is special since each cookie gets a zesty ginger flavor from the addition of crystallized ginger.
This is my absolute favorite gingersnap cookie recipe. I’ve modified it a little over the last few years to get an added zing from the crystallized ginger and my friends and family really enjoy this latest recipe for gingersnaps. I am partial to how they look with the crackles covering the tops and love rolling them in the finishing sugars for a finished look.
The original recipe we’ve enjoyed for years did not contain crystallized ginger but we find that adding this component gives this winter treat an extra little “kick” that makes us adore them all the more.
I adore gingersnap cookies and look forward to making more for my holiday gift baskets but also to eating them! My daughter and I both showed great restraint today in only eating two each! But there are no promises for tomorrow…
These Gingersnap Cookies are a must have for holiday gatherings and gift-giving. This gingersnap recipe is special since each cookie gets a zesty ginger flavor from the addition of crystallized ginger.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-ounces cystallized ginger, diced fine
- finishing sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Add the chopped crystallized ginger
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls, then roll in finishing sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° until puffy and lightly browned, 12-15 minutes [See Note 1].
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For a softer ginger cookie, bake for 10-12 minutes.
Keywords: how to, gingersnap, cookies, baking, holiday, winter