Rich and creamy homemade alfredo sauce is incredibly quick and easy to prepare. With just a few simple ingredients and about 10 minutes, you can create this flavorful and versatile sauce at home.
One of the first things I learned to cook when I moved away from home was Homemade Alfredo Sauce. I remember tasting it while it was cooking and not being able to believe how delicious it tasted or how easy it was to make.
Still when I see those premade jars lining the shelf of my grocery store, I am sometimes tempted to partake in one but the moment is fleeting. Instantly I remember how easy it is to make along with the unparalleled flavor and that flavor memory alone usually prevents me from buying it.
I saw an Olive Garden commercial this week for alfredo which silently called to me. My daughter remarked how tasty that would be for dinner. She was surprised to learn we had everything we needed already in our pantry. In just a few minutes, we had our own fresh batch sitting on the stove. Yum!
Add pasta and some fresh torn basil for a classic alfredo. Stir in your choice of protein (I prefer grilled shrimp) and it’s heavenly. Most often, however, we serve this sauce over spinach ravioli and serve with a side salad and breadsticks or crusty bread from the bakery for a homemade Italian feast in under 30-minutes.
If you ever have extra time and wanted to make homemade fettuccini, try this homemade pasta, it’s amazing!
Love pasta? Check out these Pasta and Sauce Recipes:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Alfredo
- Chicken in Rosa Vodka Sauce
- Baked Ravioli with Rosa Pasta Sauce
- Homemade Fresh Ricotta Cheese
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream [See Notes]
- 4 ounces cream cheese [See Notes]
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon minced garlic [See Notes]
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Add the butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until completely melted, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic, salt, and white pepper. Whisk until smooth. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and warm until completely melted.
- Allow the sauce to come to a low simmer and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes or until it thickens to desired consistency.
- Toss sauce with your favorite pasta, ravioli, or serve as an appetizer with breadsticks.
- The cream cheese gives this sauce a thick, creamy texture.
- Substituting the heavy whipping cream for half and half or whole milk will reduce the calories in the sauce but the resulting sauce will be much thinner and less creamy. If you substitute the heavy cream you will need to add a thickener like flour or corn starch.
- Add more or less garlic to taste. We like a garlicyAlfredo sauce so adjust it to your tastes.