Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stroganoff is a classic comfort food dish. Today we’re making it in the slow cooker for an easy weeknight meal that’s ready when you are. Traditional beef stroganoff starts with simple ingredients you probably already have in the pantry. Better yet, it’s relatively inexpensive to prepare making it a very budget-friendly way to feed your entire family.
This Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stroganoff features grass fed lean hamburger meat and Earthy sliced button mushrooms that come together in a creamy beef sauce. This easy dish is the perfect weeknight meal!
The secret ingredient to this dish – a small packet of tomato paste. I love these small convenience packs. I buy them for $1 for 6 packets. That’s actually cheaper than buying the 6-ounce can! Adding a little white wine enhances the flavors of this dish taking it to a whole new level for a flavorful weekday crock pot dinner.
When you add the sour cream, be mindful that sour cream can curdle if it boils so to thicken the main beef gravy first and then turn off the crock pot and finish the sauce by stirring the sour cream into the sauce right at the end before serving. Use the full-fat variety for this as low fat does not work as well. Greek yogurt does also make a good substitution and, like sour cream should be added at the end just before serving.
I usually serve this over egg noodles but it’s also delicious over rice or mashed potatoes. Add a side salad and steamed vegetables for a quick slow cooker meal ready and on the dinner table in under 30 minutes!
Looking for more ground Beef Recipes? Check these out:
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup
- Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos
- Italian minestrone soup with pasta and beans
- Shepherd’s Pie
Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 2 medium onions , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine [See Note 1]
- 2 Tbsp corn starch + 2 Tbsp Water [See Note 2]
- 1 cup sour cream [See Note 3]
- In a large skillet, cook beef, salt, and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer meat to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, onions, parsley, and garlic over the top of the ground beef in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together beef stock, wine, and tomato paste. Pour over meat mixture; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low 4-6 hours.
- Once the meal is ready, add the cornstarch slurry and stir to combine. The sauce will immediately start to thicken.
- Stir in sour cream just before serving.
- Serve with noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes, a side salad and steamed vegetables for a quick weeknight meal.
- Use a good table wine - one you enjoy the flavor of as the flavor will intensify. If you do not like wine, omit it without substitution.
- To substitute all-purpose flour, use 4 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/2 cup cold water. Be sure to thoroughly mix the water with the flour to prevent lumps. Stir into the cooking liquid and cook high heat until sauce thickens. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Sour cream can curdle if it boils so thicken the main beef gravy first and then turn off the crock pot and finish the sauce by stirring the sour cream into the sauce right at the end before serving without further heating.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database.
Follow along on Social Media
This post was last updated on