Barbecue sauce flavor is a very personal thing. What one person may like in their sauce, another may not like at all. For that reason, this barbecue sauce recipe is written for experimentation. Feel free to adjust the blend up of down to tweak the recipe to fit your tastes.
This is an all-purpose sauce that can be used on anything from chicken to beef or pork and tastes great on the grill. Remember to reserve some for extra dipping!
Do you have a favorite sauce? Tell us about it in the comments!
Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Yield 2 cups
- 1 (15 oz) can organic tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp (approx. 1 whole lemon) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- To a small sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, add the can of tomato sauce.
- Add all the other ingredients and whisk together to fully combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
leftovers may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Cuisine American, barbecue