We’ve been doing our best lately to get more beans into our diet. Adding more beans really bulks up our recipes and makes them a little more healthy and filling. According to WebMD, fact about beans from 1 cup to 3 cups a week.
As with our basic beef chili and our spicy beef chili, we like to have a piece of corn bread with our chili and I like to top mine with a little cheese, fresh diced white onion, a dollop of sour cream and a dash of our favorite hot sauce.
For a saucier chili, add another can of tomato sauce and adjust the seasonings to taste accordingly.
Looking for a chili recipe? Check out some of my other Chili Recipes:
- Spicy Five-Alarm Chili
- Basic Mild Beef Chili
- Chili Sauce for Burgers, Fries, and Hot Dogs (among other things)
- Spicy Bean Chili
- 2 pounds lean ground beef, 93% or leaner
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, any variety
- 1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- In a cast iron pan or large skillet, brown the grown beef together with the onions.
- Once the beef is browned and the onions are cooked, add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Next add the water, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and ground black pepper and stir well. Cook the spices for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and the rinsed and drained beans stirring well. Taste and adjust the salt and ground black pepper.
- Cover and simmer the chili for about 2 hours allowing the flavors time to meld. If during cooking, more moisture is required, use water to thin to your desired thickness. If the chili is to thin, uncover and cook a few minutes more until the desired consistency is achieved.
- A small amount of cumin added in the last 10 minutes of simmering enhances the aroma of the chili then taste and adjust the salt and pepper again, if necessary, just before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg